Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thoughts of a First Time Marathoner

Two years ago I would’ve told you that the desire to run a marathon exemplifies the deepest level of psychosis. Months and months of brutal training leading up to a day of severe, self-inflicted physical and mental pain and torture, with the only goal being to finish. To do no irreparable damage, to never submit, to resist the urge to curl up into the fetal position, lying in a pool of one’s own vomit, to not pass out and die before the finish line at 26.2 miles.

You must be out of your mind.

It started innocently enough. I was living in California, the land of superficiality, and I wanted to drop some lbs, tone the physique. So I started jogging, mostly as a way to warm up for weight training (a real “man’s” workout). It was just a mile. One mile. Then it turned into two. Two miles, it’s okay, I’m still not a runner. Three miles? Four? Five?

And finally I realized: “Damn it…Maybe I am a runner.”

I’m the type of person that seeks out challenges. In my eyes, if I’m not proving my inner strength, my worth, my will to myself, then I’m not making myself better. I want to stretch, to grow, to be focused and motivated as I push myself to the limit mentally, physically, spiritually.

This is exactly the psychosis that makes one say “I’m going to run a marathon.”

So there I was, 7:30 on an unusually warm October morning, eagerly waiting with 10,000 other foolish souls for the trial of a lifetime to commence. The raw energy was palpable as we collectively envisioned ourselves crossing the finish line. For some, this vision would unfold as one of life’s great achievements. For many, it would never come to fruition.

At 8 AM, the temperature was already 74° and the relative humidity was 87%, making this year’s the warmest Twin Cities Marathon on record. The sweat was dripping from my forehead before the race even started, and with the air nearly saturated there was no place for it to go.

But as I finally reached the starting line (it took about 10 minutes) I couldn’t contain my smile as I basked in the encouragement of spectators. I was really doing it. My first marathon. This momentum carried me through the first 13.1 miles. On to 14, 15, 16, 17…And then it hit me. The oppressive heat, the dehydration, the realization that I was exhausted and I still had a long way to go.

Around mile 18 I began seeing stars. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to pass out where I was or find a secluded spot in the woods to throw up the PowerAde and cliff bar I had consumed. The only thing keeping me conscious were the kind folks lined up on Summit Avenue, generously spraying water from hoses at the desperate runners passing by.

Mile 20 the cramping set in; a combination of severe dehydration and the fact that the human body was not built to endure this degree of strain. It would start in my calves, my pleading muscles seizing with each step. Then it would spread to my thighs, making each step a triumph of will over pain. Finally my legs would refuse to lift, and I would have to slow to a walk to avoid collapsing.

I have experienced pain, and I consider myself to have a high threshold for it (when I was 11 I broke my wrist and didn’t tell anyone for a day because I was afraid it would ruin my basketball season). But this was a pain like I had never felt. Never letting up, never numbing, growing progressively worse and exacerbated by the cruel knowledge that the end was a long way off. I had never experienced a physical meltdown like I did on those last 6.2 miles. My body had never refused to cooperate so stubbornly that each step required the greatest of mental effort.

Miles 21 through 26 are blurred by this throbbing pain, determination and an intense focus on one step at a time. Physically, every part of me wanted to give up. I had passed many collapsed runners. There was no shame. But mentally this would go against everything I stood for, and I had no doubts that in the end my mind would win out.

The final dash (more of a cringe inducing hobble) to the finish line was less than I had envisioned. I was expecting to be basking in the glory of my achievement, waving to the legions of fans. Instead I was looking at my feet, focusing on lifting them just high enough to avoid tripping over any cracks (if I had gone down I wouldn’t have gotten up). And then I was done. I had crossed.

My first marathon.

If there were any lessons learned, I haven’t found them yet. Maybe I’m not far enough removed. I’m still feeling the pain, I can still taste the misery. Will I ever run another one? Ask me in a month. Right now, I’d say you’re crazy.

Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grubs,

It has been an honor and a true pleassure to see how far you've come. You're the only person i have ever been around that i have been able to see train for and accomplish a marathon. I really am amazed at the dedication you had throughout the last few months. From training everday to watching what you eat and drink. You really exemplified a hero in my eyes these last weeks upon accomplishing such a feet.

I really am proud of you and i can't wait to see your progression throughout the next five years of marathons. Who knows maybe someday the whole Monday Night Epic Duels/Football/Halo crew will be running along side you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe we will be cheering along side you. I know I will never run a marathon.

Congrats again Gruber. I hope you find some fulfillment from this other than just crossing the finish line. You are the man even though you suck at Epic Duels.

I don't think I've lost at ED in the last month.

PS Mr Antagonist, I would read what you have to say and offer and opinions I have.

Anonymous said...

PPS. I've been waiting over a week to see who the october reader of the month is.

Noah said...

Erik, wow, no kidding what an accomplishment. Your determination, dedication and discipline has been and is an inspiration to me. You don’t say, you do. A manly quality to say the least.

Your face was simply priceless as you passed by me at Lake Calhoun. I think the picture almost captures what I remember seeing radiating from your face that day. Congrats my friend!

Anonymous said...

Zot-
1) You are the man!
2) Give yourself about a year and/or wait until life becomes so mundane that you need a challenge as big as this again. I swore I'd never do it again. But now, I'd love to get back in the game. Google "marathons US" and you'll see all the cities you can do them in. How about in three years we take a trip for a marathon! Wait, maybe I should ask you this next year when you have finally recovered.
3) Joey is cheesy, but totally right. You have inspired a lot of us with how far you've come through your dedication. Big ups!

PS There is a Las Vegas Marathon...Why in the hell would you ever want to run even one mile in Las Vegas?

Anonymous said...

Chris remember that one night in vegas when you chased me around in your little thong while tickling my bare ass?

I bet we ran/rolled/crawled/did the worm for about a mile...so i guess thats one reason why somebody would run a mile in vegas

Anonymous said...

I think the nation needs to know the first words uttered by Grubs upon completion, "Well, that was a stupid idea". Might have been stupid but at least you earned yourself a day off from work yesterday! Haha, Congrats on your accomplishments!

Anonymous said...

My dad, who also ran his first marathon last Sunday, actually told me an almost identical tale to yours. I am astounded and envious of you sir.

Anonymous said...

Gruber... Although I am envious of your accomplishment, I agree more with you now. That is a dumb thing to do!

However, it probably feels pretty damn good! So, nice work! All of your training really did pay off... and whether you decide to do another one or not, atleast you have one under your belt.

Congrats buddy!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on an incredible accomplishment! Good for you for being able to stick if out on a day less than ideal for running of any kind.

Anonymous said...

Gruber,
I wish I could have been there. Sounded like a great weekend and nice weather, even if it was a little hot. At least you didn't die like someone running the marathon in Chicago i think it was.

Brit and I were just talking about you the other day. We remember things starting to change with you while you were in California and your work ethic and determination was consistant from what we could see. Even when I came to visit this last year, you weren't able to hang out and do everything with us because you had to fit in your daily run. A lot of respect from SD man.

The pictures of Noah's gave us the best glimpse into your day of running and I wish I could have been part of the sign construction team "Run your balls raw!" After all that, did you?

Either way Gruber, I know you have heard it from everyone and it sounds corny, but Brit and I are proud of you. Way to go and I hope the recovery goes well. I might give you a call sometime to see how your doing.