Monday, October 15, 2007

Don’t They Have Better Things to Do?

Late last week the US House of Representatives Foreign Relations Committee voted to condemn the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey during WWI as genocide. The vote was met with criticism by Turkish president Abdullah Gul, who ominously warned that the decision would cause tension between Turkey and the US.

This would be an inopportune time for the relationship to deteriorate. The US relies on Turkey to help transport equipment and personnel to Iraq. In addition, the Turkish military has been mobilizing along its Iraqi border in an effort to quell the insurgency by Kurdish separatists. Our government has been urging them to show restraint, as the outbreak of another war in Iraq is the last thing anybody needs.

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with this story. It’s not exactly headline news and it’s so minor that it could be very easily bypassed without a second thought.

But the fact that it is so insignificant is the reason I write about it.

Doesn’t the Foreign Relations Committee have anything better to do? They are currently facing a disastrous war in Iraq, a war in Afghanistan that is on the verge of failing, the threat of Iran becoming nuclear, North Korea, which is already nuclear, providing technology to Syria, which aspires to be nuclear (and is being bombed by Israel for it), chaos on the Gaza strip, the list goes on. In addition, global support for America is at an all time low. Basically, the entire world thinks we’re a bunch of dimwitted barbarians.

What exactly does the Foreign Relations Committee do?

Oh yeah...they hold meaningless votes (they readily admit it’s “nonbinding and largely symbolic”) to condemn events that happened 90 years ago.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be sympathetic to the plight of the Armenians during WWI. What they went through was horrible and it should be remembered. But realistically, the atrocities were committed by the Ottoman Empire, which collapsed at the end of the war. Any complicit parties died long ago. Who exactly is being condemned? It would be like condemning German Chancellor Angela Merkel for the actions of Adolf Hitler. It simply doesn’t make sense.

Maybe on a rainy afternoon during a time of international peace, while the Foreign Relations Committee is sitting around twiddling their thumbs, maybe then this vote would be an effective time-waster.

But not while American troops are stretched across the Middle East and our international image is crumbling before our eyes.

I think the vote is a result of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and friends realizing just how inept and impotent they really are. When they became the majority following the 2006 elections they assured voters of sweeping reform, but their campaign promises were writing checks their legislation couldn’t cash. So now they’re resorting to “symbolic” measures to make it look like they’re not just playing Facebook Roshambull all day.

As a taxpayer, I wish they would stop wasting my money. And as a consumer of news, I wish they would stop wasting my damn time.

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

The Friendly Liberal said...

I couldn't agree with you more,
Grubes. This resolution is creating uneeded tension for absolutely no reason. I honestly have no idea why congress is shooting themselves in the foot over this. Well, actually I did hear one idea. On "Real Time with Bill Maher" it was suggested that this was an attempt to please the Armenian Lobby for little cost in terms of domestic politics.

Deep down, condemning this atrocity is the right thing to do, but on the surface it has just become a bizarre stage production. I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you guys, doesn't make any sense to me. If I were them I would stick to playing roshambull on facebook, that is a sweet game and I have a ton of points, so if anyone feels up to the task, send me over a challenge!!!!!

I'm pumped for a little ED!

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with all three of you hood-rats. What a frikin' waste of time and money.

I think we should focus the time and money on more important issues:

For instance, the rapper T.I. He is always being targeted just because he is black and sings about guns. Now some guy (ie his bodyguard) makes up this story about being hired to buy machine guns. I mean what a load of bullsh*t. Why would somebody with that much money do something illegal? I just don't see it happening.

Well Grubs i look forward to playing some E.D. and some Halo 3 with you later and until then...

Lata!

Anonymous said...

Dudes,

This kind of bull-honkey makes me excited for the next election!!! I don't know about you cats, but I say GO Obama!!! Yes, my vote lies with my midwestern confidant Barack...

Verse me on Facebook Roshambul...I am clueless...Think of me while you are enjoying ED and Halo 3 tonight dudes...

Pcorcs- respond on my wall dude!

Anonymous said...

Booooo to wasting time and money. Obama is a stud....for a democrat

Anonymous said...

Well I don't really care about this posting.


GO ROCKIES!!!

The Friendly Liberal said...

Boooo to wasted time and money. Hooray Beer!