Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Non-Theist's Quandary: An Introduction

As a number of you are already aware, a new voice known as Mr. Antagonist has popped up in our little blogosphere (check it out at: http://thomashelgen.blogspot.com/). The issues we have been dialoguing back and forth on have already proven juicy topics for debate, and have me thinking a little bit about why I believe in a higher power at all.

Over the next several days I will be posting excerpts from an essay I call “The Non-Theists Quandary.” Parts are compiled from essays I have written in the past, parts are newly added material.

What I hope to establish is that there is substantial evidence for the existence of a higher power (though I will not at this time attempt to definitively argue that this power is the Christian God), and that there are very important questions that a non-theist simply cannot provide viable answers to.

I realize no one has thus far explicitly denied the existence of a higher power. Nevertheless, I want to take this opportunity to lay a foundation. In any debate on faith or beliefs (such as the one at hand in which one side is arguing Agnosticism, the other Christianity) I feel it is vital to establish why one bothers to believe in anything at all.

From that groundwork, one can rationally establish why one has chosen the faith that one has, out of all the possibilities.

Of course this is just one small, initial step in the discussion. But I honestly believe that since the existence of a higher power is abundantly evident (as I hope to demonstrate), the responsibility falls on us to search for Truth. At times, this Truth will slap us over the head in an unmistakable, undeniable way. More often, it will be distant and vague, difficult to ascertain, and will require a lifetime of devotion with the potential risk of never reaching it.

Agnosticism troubles me. Many Agnostics seem to be waiting for something; waiting to be handed the answers. (This is a gross generalization. There are also many Agnostics ravenously searching for the truth) I don’t think this will ever happen. In the end, if one spends a lifetime waiting for ultimate Truth to land on the doorstep rather than actively pursuing it, one would have nobody to blame for never finding it.

Faith requires a risk, a leap. But since a higher power exists (as I believe), this is a risk worth taking.

To be continued…

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groobs,
I agree with you. I think that we do need to search for the Truth and I concur that it is a risk.

Being a person that does believe in higher power, I learn some basics from my child hood and was born into this faith. However, as in other discussions, I think it is important to stretch ourselves and search on our own of what the Truth really is. I think it is very hard to abandon everything you believe in to understand a contradicting view and I understand that an angostic would say the same thing about understanding Christianity.

But if you have seen the awesome power of God at work and see Him do things that would not be possible without a God, how can I abandon that? Am I being naive? Maybe. The times when I question my beliefs there are things that come up; answers to prayer, blessings, and times of trial.

Sometimes I wonder, is my Faith so strong that none of this really gets me thinking or worried, or am I totaly lost and just denying what comes my way so I don't have to think too deep into what I believe in?

At the end of the day, I will turn to the "Higher Power" and that is Truth enough. He keeps me going day to day.

Anonymous said...

I like the teaser Grube-daddy. Can't wait for the series to continue.

I have always considered myself a Christian, but over the past few years I have begun become a bit disenchanted with it. I still believe that there is a higher power of some sort. We couldn't have just "shown up" here, right? But what I've been having a problem with is more organized religion.

I guess my beliefs have become more that being a good person, helping others, and living a virtuous life is what humans are meant to do. Christianity bothers me a bit, in that there are so many distinct rules….rules that we are unable to follow perfectly, no matter how hard we try.

Now, I know that god says to recognize these short fallings and ask forgiveness, and all will be forgiven. But my question is this, when people ask for God to help them be better going forward, and they continue to slip up, devout Christians often spend too much time repenting. Why not move on with your day and try to do something good, instead? Not to satisfy a God’s wish, but to feel better knowing you have helped someone/something/somehow.

I know that this won’t sit well with some people, and I know that this discussion is to be more focused on the existence of a god, but I’m hoping that it will take on a Christian twist, and bring me back from the teeter-totter. Could one of your posts maybe discuss your support for an organized religion vs. an “every man for himself” viewpoint?

I guess I have an idea of it myself, in that Christianity simply provides a framework for doing good, but could you maybe convince me more with your eloquent writing sometime?

regnile said...

Any blog with this topic is sure to spice up the dialogue in the comment section. I rarely express my views on religion because of the controversy, but after reading the previous posts I felt compelled to share my opinion on the matter.

I share similar feelings as the anonymous man. I accepted Christ in high school and since then have participated, and even helped lead, youth and faith-based groups throughout my time in college. I sometimes felt guilty for it though, because it's nearly impossible to live a fully "Christ-like" life. Everyone is flawed.

That's why I appreciated the comments of the anonymous man. Because I'm not perfect and I don't attend Church regularly, I can't claim to be a full-blown follower. However, I do make decisions based on Christian morals and I believe in Him.

A way I have thought about religion is this: it doesn't hurt you at all to believe in a higher power, so why wouldn't you believe? A lot of people will disagree with that thought, so bring it on. But if you believe in Him and it is a reality, you can enjoy life after death.

Good post, Grubes, and I look forward to the continuation of this topic...

Anonymous said...

I am excited Grubes!

So far, it seems as though the three posts are different in their own way. This will make for a very interesting discussion. I think at this point, I would side with "Regnile" the most...

I too, grew up in a Christian household (sort of). We believed, went to church, but there was times where the practice part was not seen to often (atleast with half of my parents). I knew what I believed, got involved with church groups, but never really dug in too deep.

Once I got to Bethel my life took a pretty big turn. I was surrounded by true believers, and for the first time in my life... almost everyone I knew, spent time with, and lived with lived by these Christian morals/beliefs. It was amazing.

Freshman year I really dug in. The rewards were great! But, after that year I seemed to have lost the drive.

I still believe, don't get me wrong. And I have been making attempts to get back to where I was. This post seems to have come at a great time! I am very excited to dialogue with people with many different perspectives.

Thank you Grubes for opening such a discussion, and thank all of you who will post replies that will help clear up some issues we are all seeking answers to.

What I love about this the most is that with the 7-10+ people who may be involved with this discussion, we may have 7-10+ different perspectives/views. The possibilities for growth are numerous.

I really look forward to the next couple of days...

Anonymous said...

I am also excited to dialogue. I don't want to say too much before I see where Gruber takes today's post, but I will say this. Don't be down hearted by Christianity. It is not meant to be a strict code of laws that we have to pour over every day. Jesus changed all that. He says in John Chapter ten that he came to bring us all life that we may have it to the fullest extent. It would be foolish to put your life in a microscope and pick apart every little thing. Jesus preaches that we love and serve each other. THe greatest commandment is simply to love the Lord with all your heart and then to love your neighbor as yourself.

That's it for now, you all rock!