Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More Thoughts on Pacifism

I’ve had a little more time to contemplate and all it has brought me is more confusion…What I have left to offer is my personal ethic as clearly as I can formulate and articulate it.

Very rarely could I be convinced that violence is the solution to any problem. Violence begets violence, and more often than not change brought about through violent means only serves to establish new pathways for violent acts. Just look at the current situation in Iraq, the countless violent coups throughout the histories of Asia, South America and Africa, or The Troubles of Northern Ireland.

These nation’s identities are rooted in a history of bloodshed and the minds of the people have become engrained with the paradigm that violence is the only means available to accomplish ends (this is also true of gang culture in the US).

That said, I don’t believe pacifism as an inflexible moral policy is feasible either. As Mr. Antagonist poignantly and aptly stated, it’s “a borderline criminal stance when confronted with genocide.” In response to a terrifying and destructive regime such as Nazi Germany, pacifism amounts to nothing more than apathy, which at its core is no better than condoning the atrocity.

Herein lies the trouble: my ethic walks a precarious line on which we entrust ourselves to determine right moral action. The problem is that A) we most often are only given bits and pieces of the larger story (whatever the media wants us to see), and therefore lack the complete information necessary to make educated decisions, B) as a species, we have proven ourselves time and again to be irredeemable fools, and C) my moral determinations have absolutely zero impact on the decisions of the country and its leadership.

The current situation in Iraq is a prime example. At the time of the invasion, the majority of America supported President Bush and his decision to go to war. At the time, we were told Saddam Hussein had vast supplies of WMD’s and was aiding Al Qaeda. Both of these points were later revealed to be false, but we had incomplete information. Very few people foresaw the chaotic civil war that became the result of the invasion. We should have, the signs were all there. Bitter sectarian divides, years of oppression, economic hardship. But we were foolish. And to complete the trifecta of point C, it wouldn’t have made a bit of difference had I been vocally opposed to the war at the outset.

I believe it’s nearly impossible to determine the “justness” of a war from the beginning. Only in retrospect will the full truth be revealed and will the consequences (good or bad) be realized

The “justness” of war is determined by posterity, not by its actors.

To go back to Mr. Antagonist’s statements, there are notable exceptions in cases of clear cut genocide (Nazi Germany), but in this regard we as Americans are enormously hypocritical. For all of our big talk about fighting “just wars,” we fail to act in most cases where mass murder has predetermined justness. Think of the countless examples of American indifference as hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been slaughtered across the globe. The Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Darfur, Rwanda, Sudan, Uganda (do you want me to keep going with the African nations?) Murderous regimes in Latin and South America have been funded and trained by the CIA, for God’s sake.

We stood by and did nothing. Why? Because we had no invested interest. Because none of these nations had oil. Don’t tell me America is concerned about “just war.”

P Corcs, following Monday’s post you stated that “we need to take each situation as it is and react how we believe we should,” yet you also disagreed with my position that pacifism is more applicable to individuals than it is to a country. I’m having trouble understanding your stance. The problem is that “we” (as in you and I) have little control over the actions of our country (unfortunately…but maybe soon…).

Since I have no control over the decisions or actions of our leaders, it is possible (actually probable) that my ideas of morally right action in any given situation will not be in line with the governmental stance. Do you see the disconnect? We determine morality individually, and therefore it can’t be applied nationally (unless you want to get into groupthink – 1984 anyone?). To react in the manner that we believe we should, it’s absolutely necessary for tenets such as pacifism to be individualistic, and nearly impossible for them to be applied to a country.

Thoughts?

Tomorrow, I’ll be exercising pacifism by participating in an online protest with a group of bloggers around the world. The aim of the protest is to show support for the people of Burma. For those of you not familiar with the situation, a brutal military junta has been controlling the country and oppressing the people for years. Recently, protests lead by Buddhist monks took to the streets following an unexplained 500% increase in the price of gas, and the military has met their nonviolent resistant with unrestrained force; arresting, beating, and killing monks and citizens nationwide. To learn more, check out these links:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/10/reports-4000-mo.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22515138-661,00.html

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-10-02-voaburmaun.cfm

http://www2.free-burma.org/index.php

As part of this nonviolent protest, there will be no formal post tomorrow. In its place, I will be displaying one of the images created for the campaign. Visit Zizzle-Zot, etc to show your support.

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't totally decided if I agreed with you or not on the stance of Pacifism on an indiviual level vs a country. As you can see below, I was writing my thoughts as I thought them so I wrote in this disclaimer at the end of my point

"(But that idea is intriging to me because I haven't thought about that much before today, so actually for me the jury is still out on that one)."

That being said I will clarify now that I have had time to think about it. I believe that on a theoretical level a "country" can be pacifist. I will not get into America's democracy right now, but you can understand what I'm saying.

On the level we are at right now, yes Gruber, you and I don't actually have a say in what actually goes down. Our only say is our single vote and voicing our opinions to anyone that would care to listen.

In reality we can play out pacifism on an individual level and in that I agree with you. We all have the power to act however we decide every day. I hope that clarifies my postion and in that I believe we are in agreeance (is that a word?) Correct me if I am wrong though.

As far a the "just war" and America I would say this. I believe that there are so many levels to it. Even if a war in the eyes of the majority is just it still is war. That means that there are always those who have attrocities committed against them and there are those who have unjust actions committed to them. May innocent people still suffer and lives are lost that serve no purpose. Do these acts make a "just war" unjust? If so is there even such things as a just war? At what point is the price of war to great to make it be unjust? Is it okay to do whatever is needed in a "Just war" to achieve the desired end?

I don't know the answers to these questions, I do have my opinions which I will not take the time to voice right now, but I thought they might spark some more dialogue.

Anonymous said...

Today I read my professor's book on Just War Theory and Pacifism. I found myself leaning both ways. One of the eight criterion for Just War that some argue is that of Just Cause. Here there is the phrase "humanintarian intervention". This is a clause to this criterion that the only time a war is just is when it is not for national gain, power, wealth, etc., but only as it is to intervene when one a group is being attacked unjustly. (ie. The Holocaust)

My prof. writes that Christian (emphasis on "Christian") Just War Theorists should not use Just War as a rationalization tool for war, but only use it with the affirmation that Jesus was against war, violence, and injustice. We only go to war if we can lessen war, violence, and injustice. That is to say that maybe the humanitarian intervention of war will diminish what God is against.

I also found some great truth in Pacifism. He writes that many people confuse pacifism with "passivism". That is, many people think that we don't combat our enemies at all and become passive slugs when injustice is paid to us. This is far from pacifism. Pacifism means that when we are struck with injustice, we don't become violent, but we fight back in other ways. Dr. King fleshed this out in the Bus Boycott and Rosa Parks did with her refusal to get up! Non-violent protest worked wonders in the sixties!

The Bible teaches: "...do not retaliate revengefully by evil means. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give them your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to goone mile, go also the second mile...." Matthew 5:39-42

These are not passive commands, but commands of pacifism. They mean to say that if some one slaps you, turn the other cheek and let them know you will not be intimidated, you are there equal and will stand up to them.

If someone takes your coat, give them your coat as well. In 1st century Jewish culture it was shameful to see someone naked. Not for the nake, but for the viewer. The command essentially says, if someone takes your cloak, fight back with out violence by shaming them with your nudity as stand up against their injustice!

Last, going the second mile was contextual as well. Roman guards could have Jews carry their huge packs for 1 mile by law. If you were a Jew taking a pack 1 mile but went another mile, the Roman guard could get in huge trouble from his commanding officer if he had them go an extra mile. You proclaim that you are no better than me, and I will fight back for your injustices!

Now, pacifism is a beautiful tool! I think I am landing somewhere in the middle. Our one goal is to be the Kingdom of God by mimicing Jesus in all that we do. That means fighting injustice, and fighting against violence. Therefore, sometimes we do this through war (Holocaust) and sometimes we do this through pacifism. I think pacifism should always be the go to method, but when it is completely exhausted, sometimes we have a greater good dillema!

Thoughts? Objections? Love!

Ryan Gallagher said...

Is it possible to agree with all three of you? Cause I think I do. You all seem to be saying the same thing. I think I agree that pacifism is what we are called to on an induvidual bases. Scripture calls us to not to take revenge agianst those who have wronged us. Cassel, I like your definition of pacifism, "Pacifism means that when we are struck with injustice, we don't become violent, but we fight back in other ways". I like this defintion because it shows that pacifism does not mean just taking injustice. Just like MLK and anyone that has stood aginst injustice through non-violent ways. However I think that while this may solve the problem of fighting back with violence we still must be careful to not fight back in a revengful mannner through words or other means. We must remember that Christ put thinking bad thoughts about someone and murdering them on the same level (Matt 5:21-22).

the greater good dillema as Cassel brought up, seems to be at the heart of the succes of pacifism. But once again who determines the greatest good. Did not Hitler think that he was doing a greater good for the people of the world by exterminating the Jews, and don't people like Christopher Hitchens think that they are doing the greater good for the people by saying that religion is bad for the people? I don't think that as Christians we can use utilitarianism as the tie breaker.

Wow, as I sit here and write this I find myslef not likeing the term pacifism very much. Maybe at one level pacifism is a good way of combating things like war, but I how do you combat the selfishness and pride of the people that go to war? How do cut anger and violence off at its root?

Anyways, like I said, I think I;m on the same page with you guys. Pacifism seems to work for individuals, but I have no good idea as to how it should work for a nation.

Anonymous said...

I don't want it to look like I am taking the safe road but I don't really disagree with what you guys are saying. I haven't really known what to write exactly and I haven't taken the time to research anything to support my thoughts.

Sometimes I wish I knew more theologically, but to be honest when I start to get in deep with theological stuff it starts to lose my interest. I think I am what you call "a simple man" when it comes to that stuff. There are other areas I like to dig in deeper where I can understand things better.

Anyway, from what the four of you have said now, I think I agree with the pacifist view on an individual basis and it gets sticky when dealing with a national view.

With that said, I am going to say that I am ready for another basketball post. IS Marion going to stay where he is at? Are the Celtics going to be as good as everyone says? Will the Timberwolves franchise survive this year? I think these are the questions that REALLY matter. jk.

Anonymous said...

Guess Who is funny...I hope the T-wolves don't survive so we can get rid of that burden on Minnesota. Then in five to ten years we can get a real team.
I want to clarify a bit here. I don't really agree that we should exercise pacifism only on a personal, individual level. I think we should exercise it on national level first and foremost. In all our pacifistic might, we should fight against nations that seek conflict with us. But, when that doesn't work and it's for what I defined as "humanitarian intervention" we should then engage in a Just War... Agree? Disagree?

Anonymous said...

PS. For the few of you who enjoy theological blogging, my pastor/professor Greg Boyd writes blogs about three times a week. I'm in the habit of waking up and Zot blogging and then heading over for a theological thought for the day. If you are interested find it @ gregboyd.blogspot.com