Wednesday, October 24, 2007

This American Life: Tune In

Looking back over my posts, I’ve realized that I offer a lot of disclaimers. I’ll often qualify my writings as purely opinion or conjecture, worthy of little merit and even less wholehearted acceptance. Maybe I want to ensure that Zizzle-Zot, etc. is a welcoming, open forum by avoiding heavy-handed, opinion-as-fact diatribes (a la CNN, FOX News, etc.). Maybe I’m just an opinionated dude conscious of covering my ass.

I write that as a prelude to this disclaimer: Today, Zizzle-Zotians, I’m walking perilously close to the edge between self-deprecating pretentiousness and actual, nose-in-the-air pomposity.

I suppose being accused of snobbery is inevitable when one confesses to regularly listening to This American Life, which reeks of self-importance.

The weekly radio show, broadcast out of Chicago, could best be described as a purveyor of poignancy through the odd, the curious, or the seemingly mundane. Hosted by the always nasally, sometimes smug Ira Glass, each episode focuses on a different theme and offers a variety of stories on that theme. The stories are usually true, and for the most part chronicle average Americans placed in unique circumstances that illuminate an aspect of the episode’s theme, sometimes blatantly, sometimes esoterically.

I know what you’re thinking: it would seem that I hate This American Life. And when I tuned in online for the first time, I assumed I would.

But as I listened to my first episode, titled Twentieth Century Man, I became entranced. It’s the story of Keith Aldrich, a child of the depression that never quite found his identity, through the eyes of Gillian Aldrich (one of his nine children). It tells of Keith’s search for purpose as a preacher, an aspiring Hollywood actor, a Beat writer, a member of the New York literati, a hippie, and a suburbanite. Gillian catches up with Keith’s many other children by many other women (he would leave his old family behind every time he shifted identities). And ultimately, it paints the picture of a faceless, piteous failure fried by years of drug use and wandering.

It’s a truly depressing story, and the melancholy was palpable, real. The interviews with the siblings aim at getting beneath Keith’s many incarnations and finding the true man. In the process, some of them sympathize with their father. Some show pity, some irony, some only anger.

Therein lies the power of the show. By being pretentious and smug, Ira Glass and his This American Life cohorts can capture real emotion. They can transmit love, pain, happiness and sorrow over the radio without resorting to the sentimentality of a Hallmark commercial. They are relentless in interviews, they refuse to pull punches or let their subjects off the hook, and as a result they dig to the pith of their stories. By being so damned self-inflated, they invite their subjects to embrace the importance of their own stories and reach a level of honesty that would be impossible in other settings

This American life is ultimately about the duality of human nature, and in finding this duality they have arrived at something truly American.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm constantly writing "me too" on this blog, but I have been listening to this show for about a year now and I have to echo everything you're saying Grubes. It's maybe my favorite piece of weekly entertainment period. I'd rather listen to a This American Life than watch any TV show. 20th Century Man was one of my favorites.

I don't think it's all that pretentious though. I mean, the concept of decending from a NY ivory tower to observe the masses is a bit pretentious, but I don't think their excecution is. They are usually upfront about their uptown biases and it seems like honest journalism when that kind of thing matters.

I don't know. I guess I never gave the "pretentious" factor much thought. It's just so good...

I suggest downloading these episodes in podcast form. Nothing is better than going for a long walk and listening to a complete episode at a time that works for you. Also, have you seen the Showtime TV series?

FINALLY, I haven't read it yet, but the title to your last post implies that I'll be commenting, so look for it, if you care to.

The Friendly Liberal said...

Rather, I should say that I'm probably going to respond to "Part 3"...I'd hate to think that my comment would go unread. How pretentious is that?

Anonymous said...

Never listen to it, never even heard of it. If it doesn't involve me then it doesn't matter.

Yeah, now I'm the most pretentious today!

Anonymous said...

Pat has been on a Big Celine Dion/Abba/Cher kick lately at work, so as soon as that wears out maybe i can talk him into downloading a podcast.

Until then i am as clueless as the last time cassel tried to use a butt plug

Anonymous said...

What's a buttplug? I am in the midst of downloading my first episode in podcast form right now....Sounds real Kerouac-ish...Beat-style...

Pat loves Celine...

I want to see Joe Ritchie in the bathtub...

I want to see Joe Ritchie grilling brats in the nude

I want to see Pat Corcoran eating one of Joe Ritchie's nudely grilled brats while he wears a leopard skin thong

I want to watch all of this with a Largemouth Bass on my hog

Anonymous said...

I'd listen to more than just the last podcast. "Mapping" is maybe my least favorite episode in the entire year I've been listening.

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool Gruber.

Anonymous said...

Where should I start MR. A

The Friendly Liberal said...

"Allure of the Mean Friend" has one of my favorite pieces (the first one). "Missing Parents Bureau" is very good. "20th Century Man" is stellar, but it's just one long story...so it might not be the best introduction.

Try one out. You'll catch on quick.

Zizzle-Zot said...

Agreed about "20th Century Man." One of my favorites, and I think you'd dig it, Cassel. "Act V" is about a group of prison inmates that put on a performance of Hamlet. It's fascinating.

If you go to the About Us link, then on the left click on About The Radio Show, then in the first sentence of that page you can get to the Favorite Shows Page (a lot of clicking. There's probably an easier way). Any of these will be worth listening to.