Monday, July 2, 2007

Tool

Tool is arguably the most artistically innovative rock band of the last 15 years. Their songs combine expressive guitar effects, driving syncopated rhythms, engaging vocals and insightful, intensely introspective lyrics. Their unique style has reshaped the landscape of metal, has shifted the paradigm of what a song can be, and has influenced countless successors.

Lead singer Maynard James Keenan, an odd man by all accounts, was born a Baptist, served in the army, and moonlights as a comedian (he appeared in several guest spots on Mr. Show). His idea of an April fool’s joke is to tell his fans he has left the band after “finding jesus” (notice the deliberately lowercase “j”).

Drummer Danny Carey (whom I would argue is the best drummer. Ever. Period.) is a professed student of occult teachings and employs sacred geometrical figures in his percussive technique, which explains his unique sound. According to the Tool website he uses drumming as an occult ritual “with purposes varying from spiritual exploration to a gateway which summons a demon he has contained that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within The Book of Lies." I don’t even know what that means, but I’d say it qualifies him as a bonafide rock star.

Guitarist Adam Jones, along with being ranked the 75th greatest guitarist of all time by Rolling Stone Magazine, is a sculptor and film special effects designer (he is responsible for all of Tool’s music videos). Jones worked on the sets of Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and Dances with Wolves, among others.

At least bassist Justin Chancellor is relatively normal. Then again…he does play the bass.

Honestly, Tool creeps me out a little bit. I dig their mainstream stuff, but some of the obscure recordings are a little over the top for me (abstract in a bizarre sort of way). The lead-ins to some songs are overly grandiose and heavy-handed and some of the videos are a little gruesome. But then again, when I want to rock there are few other bands I’d rather listen to.

Now that I think about it, it would be more accurate to say that Tool fans creep me out a lot. The jagged facial piercings and chain-laden pants make me wonder why some people subject themselves to such great inconveniences to prove they don’t care. The hatred of sunshine and refusal to smile make me wonder what it’s like to be angry all the time. The glares and scowls make me wonder if they are all bipolar and collectively forgot to take their medication.

Needless to say, I went into Tuesday night’s concert at the Xcel Energy Center with a dash of trepidation. What crazy costumes would Keenan grace the stage with? How many poor kids would leave the mosh pit bloodied and bruised? What curiosities would I be exposed to in this strange circle of hell?

My fears were put to rest when the lights went out and a swath of smoke rose to the rafters. So they’re potheads…at least they’re peaceful. Then Tool took the stage. No pomp or circumstance, no production, just a band ready to rock. Keenan wore a green T-shirt, boot-cut jeans and a cowboy hat. Carey was wearing a Steve Nash Jersey. Jones knockoff Adidas track pants. Chancellor a short sleeve button-up he must have stolen from my dad’s closet. Just four regular dudes that know how to play; four artistic geniuses with no need for the dramatic staging or costuming that poisons rock music.

The pulsing crowd turned equal parts frenzied and ecstatic as the band took up their instruments and, without a word, Jones picked out the reverberating guitar riff that introduces Jambi. Carey went to work, hands moving so fast they looked as if they weren’t moving at all. And as Keenan flailed atop the platform positioned at the back of the stage, his figure silhouetted by the flames burning on the screens behind him, I realized that, creepy or not, this was going to be one hell of a show.

Thanks for reading.


P.S. Due to popular demand I’ll have one more basketball post tomorrow, and look for the selection of the next Zizzle-Zot Reader of the Month in the very near future. I try not to disappoint.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I will be the first to comment. I won't have much to say because of the fact that I don't really know squat about the band Tool. I do know a little more because of the information I have received through this excellent posting. I look forward to the next basketball posting and the presentation of the reader of the month.

Anonymous said...

I am with Drew. I love reading because even the postings that i know/care nothing about are still interesting to read. You're the man grubs.

I look forward to me being crowned reader of the month for the second time in a row. Although Drew has come on strong as of late and Joe has been tough competition.

Christopher Kevin Casselman said...

I contend that Pat needs a break and even though there are not as many comments from me...I should win reader of the month...I have read all the posts given strong feedback and have nuts...Oh and lets get to down to the real issues...less basketball! (Just kidding, that was for you Drewski!)

Christopher Kevin Casselman said...

Oh Groobs, I have an idea for a post when you got nothing to say...tell everyone about City Of God. Just watched it again and am amazed, frightened, and depressed all at the same time by watching it...

Anonymous said...

Groobs...your posts suck...even though i read them every day and i laugh my ass off and i wish you would do two a day...i still think they suck. You couldn't be more wrong with your views. For instance...TOOL...i mean come on let's talk about an idea coming out of left field. You couldn't be more off base. I have five letters for you L - I - M - I - T. Now jot that down and do some real research. What you'll notice is that TOOL is rather sub par compared to these real rock stars.

Well until later...

I love you and we should get together for lots 'o' drinks tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m gonna have to disagree with joey here. I loved this post. I’ve been a fan of TOOL in hiding for six years now. I’m also a huge fan of Maynard’s off-project “A Perfect Circle”. Coming from someone who knows music theory and stuff, they are on a level far higher than any other rock band ever…and I mean that. They have pushed musical boundaries that no other band would care to acknowledge. They are a scary group. Maynard really doesn’t like God…at all.
One thing Groobs didn’t mention was the incredible use of verse. Maynard’s lyrics are sheer poetry. This is from “Lateralus”:

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

Good stuff if you ask me. So if you really don’t know anything about this band. Check ‘em out. Get past the fact that some of their songs are anti-God and creepy. Listen to them artistically and enjoy!