Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Roger Federer: The Best Ever?

On Sunday evening long reigning tennis #1 Roger Federer won his fourth consecutive U.S. Open, marking the first time anyone has taken four in a row since the ‘20s, when Bill Tilden accomplished the feat.

After watching Federer play near-perfect tennis once again, annihilating (and humiliating) the competition without breaking a sweat, it would be impossible to deny that Federer is one of the top players of all time. Consider the stats: Federer has not only won the last four U.S. Opens, but has also won five consecutive Wimbledons and two consecutive Australian Opens. He has 12 Grand Slam events in total, has been ranked #1 in the world for 189 weeks (well over three years), and he just recently turned 26 years old. Scary.

But is he the best ever?

Reader of the Month Werd Yelof was essentially asking this question when he pondered whether Federer is better than Sampras (generally considered the best of all time).

Admittedly, I’m biased. I’ve played and watched a lot of tennis, and I grew up a Sampras guy. His pure power is undeniable. His service game was nearly unstoppable and his leaping overhead slams were a sight to behold.

Lately, however, I’ve taken to Federer’s game. His motions are natural and fluid. His shots are powerful and precise. He plays tennis as it ought to be played, and he makes it look easy. The fact that I’m now a Federer fan helps me to be objective in the Federer vs. Sampras match-up.

Let’s look at the numbers:

Pete Sampras has won 14 Grand Slam events, as I’ve already said, Federer has now won 12, which puts him a year ahead of Sampras’ pace. Sampras had a career winning percentage of 78.5%. Federer now sits at 80.3%. During his prime, Sampras held the #1 ranking for 190 consecutive weeks. Federer will soon bypass that number.

In reality, their stat lines are virtually identical. Besides, stats don’t really do justice to the match-up. They played at different times, against different opponents. Sampras faced competition from tennis greats like Andre Agassi, Marat Safin, Patrick Rafter, and Ivan Lendl. Aside from Nadal, there are no proven players challenging Federer day in and day out.

But looking at the match-up as someone who’s watched both Federer and Sampras play a lot of tennis, my gut tells me that if the two went head to head in their primes Federer would have the edge.

I come to this conclusion based on one factor: Sampras always had a glaring weakness. He couldn’t hit a winning backhand. When he was forced to use his backhand it was completely defensive; a survival tool. He would slice the ball deep into the court, trying to prevent his opponent from exploiting the weakness. If his opponent came to the net, Sampras was never able to pass from the backhand side.

Sampras gets the edge on the serve, but don’t underestimate Federer’s power. And both players possess pinpoint accuracy. Both have dominant forehands and fearsome net games. Both are fierce competitors.

It’s interesting to consider a Sampras championship match versus a Federer championship match. Sampras always had to work harder for his wins. Federer dominates with such ease (or maybe he just makes it look that way).

Both players are true champions, but Sampras’ lackluster backhand always held him back. Federer plays near-perfect tennis, dominates the game (I think he lost only one set in the U.S. Open), and in my opinion is the best ever.

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gruber I completely agree with you. I have watched both as well and really do enjoy watching tennis. You probably watched more then I have since you played tennis and adored Sampras. I started watching more seriously about 8-10 years ago, early high school I would say.

Not only do I think Federer is better, I like how he doesn't come off as looking so conceited and arrogant. Sometimes I got that feeling when I watched Sampras play, granted he is good and can probably get away with doing that. However, you know me, personally I like players that look to be a little more humble. To be frank, (I love saying that) Federer never says a word, doesn't complain and plays like he invented the game. He doesn't even grunt when he hits the ball.

I have a lot of respect for the man and I am excited to see what else he is able to do.

Federer = #1 ALL TIME!!

On a side note, I would love to go watch a professional tennis match sometime. Gruber, you are invited if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Anonymous said...

As far as the match-up goes I cannot comment on it since I didn't really start watching tennis very much until lately because of my Wife (Love you babe!). What i will say is that Federer is flawless. It doesn't even look like he tries half as hard as his oppenent. It's like Gruber running a marathon against Lance Armstrong.

I did watch Pretty much the whole match that Federer played against Roddick and I will have to say that Roddicks serve did dominate federer. Granted Federer probably returns it better than anyone out there, but that is the only time i have seen him look helpless. It didn't matter though because any volley that was more than 3-4 hits was won by Federer.

Anyway, I'll quit pretending like I know something about tennis. I will say that I do have fun watching Federer play!

Anonymous said...

Federer is undeniably the best of all time. I would aregue that there are some good and maybe great tennis players out there right now, but Federer just puts them all to shame (minus Nadal on Clay).

Throughout the whole US Open i think he sweat maybe once while playing Roddick. And even though Roddick had two tie break chance against Federer it dosn't change the fact that Federer stayed calm and still didn't have to try to beat him.

Federer just knows how to put on a clinic everytime he plays. He makes the game look so easy.

As for a Federer vs Sampras match...boring...it would be no contest.

That would be like taking athletes from back in the day and expecting them to beat a player of this era.

Examples: Hank Aaron vs. Barry Bonds (with or without steroids), Gretzky vs. Crosby, Jerry Rice vs. Chad Johnson, Jordan vs. Lebron...all no contest when facing a player of today.

The best of the past have a better chance against the medioker players like; Joe Mauer, Wes Walz, Troy Williamson or Troy Hudson.

Nuf Said...

Susan said...

You all can just wait until March 10th when Federer and Sampras play in NYC. If I didn't have to work, I would be there. I heart Sampras:)

Although I am bias to Sampras (see above) and since I grew up wanting to play just like him (in a chic sort of way, of course), I can’t give either the title of "Best Ever". Although Federer is 1-0 in the only time they played each other with the amazing 5 set win he has over Sampras in the 2001 Wimbledon at the end of Sampras’s career and the beginning of Federer, they both are amazing players. The both are the best in the eras that they played in hand downs, but I just don't think you can certainly say one is better than the other.

Zizzle-Zot said...

Suzy Corcs! Good to hear from you, that just made my morning.

I agree that it's really not possible to say for sure since they played in different eras. I hadn't heard about the match in NYC, but that's gonna be awesome.

Susan said...

Yeah - I had to weigh in on tennis:)

I hope they atleast televise the match! Federer was quoted the other day saying that him and Pete hit sometime this summer in Pete's backyard and that he "won" that match but wouldn't say the score. It'll be fun to see but Sampras definitely won't be the favorite after being off the tour for 5 or so years and that he is 10 years older then Federer!