Monday, September 24, 2007

People of Note: Victor Bout

Also known as “The Merchant of Death,” Victor Bout is a notorious Russian arms dealer who illegally provides weapons and military equipment to the highest bidders throughout Northern Africa and the Middle East.

Bouts origins are somewhat mysterious. It is believed that he was born in 1967 to two Russian parents, but his actual birthplace is disputed (he is sometimes listed as Ukrainian in descent). At some point he joined the Russian military (it is not known when) and worked as a navigator, eventually expanding his duties to include the training of Air Force commando troops.

In 1991 Bout graduated from Moscow’s Military Institute after studying foreign languages (he is reputedly fluent in at least six, including Russian, English, French, Portuguese and Uzbek) and went to work as a translator for the Russian Army. This didn’t last, however, as the base where he was stationed was dissolved following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Bout and his colleagues were out of work, but not for long. The enterprising Bout was highly trained, had access to military equipment and possessed a rolodex full of international contacts.

Bout started by founding the Transavia Export Cargo Company, aiding Belgian soldiers in Somalia. In exchange for a cut of the profits, the GRU (Russia’s intelligence branch) loaned Bout three Antonov airplanes. He used these aircraft to supply the Islamic State of Afghanistan (known now as the Northern Alliance) with ammunition and weapons, making an alleged $50 million. With this money he founded the Trans Aviation Network Group in Belgium.

In 1995 the Taliban drove the Islamic State of Afghanistan out of Kabul. This didn’t stop Bout. No, he had just found a new customer in the Taliban. Around this time word of Bout’s shady empire reached the Belgian government, and they started to investigate. He was forced to move his operation to the United Arab Emirates, where he founded Air Cess.

He used Air Cess to supply African conflicts with “thousands upon thousands of assault rifles, grenade launchers, bullets and other weapons,” according to UN officials. His dealings extended to conflicts in Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Charles Taylor’s regime in Liberia, Libya, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland and Uganda.

Former British Foreign Office Minister Peter Hain, the man who invented the nickname “Merchant of Death,” has said this of Bout: “Bout is the leading merchant of death who is the principal conduit for planes and supply routes that take arms, including heavy military equipment, from East Europe, principally Bulgaria, Moldova, and Ukraine, to Liberia and Angola. The UN has exposed Bout as the center of a spider’s web of shady arms dealers, diamond brokers, and other operatives, sustaining wars. Without someone like him we would be much, much closer to ending the conflicts. If there was ever a man for the US to assassinate, he is that man.”

Over the years Bout has built a large network of contacts in both business and politics. This fact, along with his carefully disguised dealings and his constant movement, has made it difficult for authorities to build a case against him. In 2002 he was finally formally charged and warrants were issued for his arrest. He moved to Russia where he remains protected by the Russian Constitution, which doesn’t allow for the extradition of citizens to foreign countries.

Victor Bout is still at large.

Thanks for reading.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've surprisingly never heard of him. It is interesting to learn about though, he sounds like someone straight out of a James Bond movie!

It is crazy how one man can profit so much off of other people killing each other. What a sick way to live, he must have no conscience at all.

Anonymous said...

That's crazy! I love reading about people like Bout. It makes me mad that he is at the center the Spider Web as it was put, but on the other hand he sounds intriguing and i want to learn more about him.

Also I think that tonight like Bout, i will be at the center of a spider web. But my spider web is contained of Wins in Epic Duels...

Anonymous said...

What a badass!

Anonymous said...

What are you guys talking a Bout? (Just a little Blog humor. I know...Terrible) I am curious what the US is actually doing to find this man. If Zot's article is accurate, the capture of Bout could make for a much easier time in our foreign affairs branch.

PS. For Zot... Here's a blog idea

What is Evangelicalism (on paper)? And why do many American Christians move toward Evangelicalism?

Good to be back in Zotland

Anonymous said...

One more important thing. I was doing a little Zizzle-Zot research and I did find that there was a 13 post day on the topic of the innerancy of the Bible. As far as I know that was the highest number of post so far.

Please also consider this as my official application for official Zizzle-Zot Historian.

Anonymous said...

Good work Pazzle-toots! You won my vote...

I don't think it is fair to call Bout "the merchant of death." Sure, he does sound like a bad ass, but everyone knows that the real "merchant of death" is who ever I am in Epic Duels, as I too aide to the death of nearly everyone!

Anonymous said...

Also, that guy looks harmless. He is chubby and awkward looking... He doesn't scare me...

Anonymous said...

Did you see Jon Stewert and some author talk about this guy on the Daily Show a few days back?

Also, Lord of War is a supposedly true story about gun running and is a fantastic movie. Nicholas Cage haters be damned.

Anonymous said...

One final thing...P Corcs, there are far more than a simple handful of wrongly placed prisoners in locations like Guantanamo. I use the phrase "wrongly placed" because this incorporates many different situations. Some are innocent and haven't been given access to a military court system. Some are guilty of insurgency activity, but clearly don't have information that justifies months and years of torture. The ones that potentionally do have information that could actually save American lives... they aren't in Guantanamo, but rather are kept in those hidden Eastern European locations we keep hearing about. These facts change by the month, so don't trust what I say wholeheartedly.

On a personal note...The wrongs that have occured in Abu Grahib and Guantanamo are not only hurtful to those being imprisoned unjustly and tortured needlessly, but is hurtful to America itself. Once we lose our moral authority, we lose a huge bargaining chip that potentially translates into American lives.

Anonymous said...

I thought Chuck Norris was the "Merchant of Death"???

Anonymous said...

I understand that there has been a lot of atrocities committed and I am not in any way defending those. Yes, there are probably a lot of people wrongly imprisoned and I am not defending that either. I am simply stating that, to me, it is a stretch to try and compare these modern day "camps" to Nazi Concentration camps of WWII. In a way to me it almost down plays what happened back then.

By the way. We all would really like you to reveal your identity Mr. Antagonist! You have caught our attention with you strong points and professional writing style.

Anonymous said...

Howdy there Mr. Antagonist,
(I really wanna know who you are!) Anyways, I was troubled by your use of "moral authority" when describing the US. Before I jump on criticizing that, would you care to explain what you mean by this phrase? Thanks bro...

Oh and Epic Duels is for geeks in middle school... I will fight all of you who play...

Anonymous said...

1. P Corcs, I don't think we disagree on anything.

2. Cassel, one of the reasons our government doesn't go after this guy is because we actually depend upon him occationally. This is something I remember specifically from the Daily Show interview. We actually use this guy for back alley arms deals, not so much to profit off of, but to get guns to the groups we support...but can't really support openly. For instance, I wouldn't be suprised if we are using a guy like this to send guns to Sunni militias in Lebenon to defend against the growing Shi'ite presence. I don't how I feel about this. It brings to mind Jack Nicholson shouting at the naive idealist, Tom Cruise: "You can't handle the truth!"

2 (director's cut). By "moral authority" I mean that America has, over the years, established itself as a (relatively) humane Superpower. No one is saying that we're perfect, but we did manage to fight a few wars without unleashing a Nuke. It might sound arrogant, but I believe a nation's moral charachter is only truly tested when it finds itself on top and in a decision making role. Also, they threw ticker tape parades in just about every country Eisenhower visited. Back then we were thought of as being the champions of what was right and good. Can the same be said today? I won't venture down that obviously political road.

3. You guys are really going to be dissapointed with my identity. My name is Thomas Helgen. Most of you don't know me. I met Gruber on our trip to Disney World. The story of how I ended up here was that Andrew Leone, Mike Amenthorp, and I were hanging out and they went on and on and on about Gruber's blog, so I decided to check it out for myself. To maintain my mysterious quality, you can also think of me as the man standing outside your window...right now

4. I sincerely apologize to anyone who thinks that I've highjacked the comments section. I have a phobia of keeping opinions to myself.

Anonymous said...

Well I think I just beat our old record. The Bout guy sounds like a prize package. Maybe all of us should put together a "Search and Destroy" team and take this man out. We could become famous and Groobs could be our representative, writing our thoughts and intentions in the Wall Street Journal. Just and idea.

Also, quite a few different people writing comments. Werd, P Corcs, Late Night, Joey, Mr. Antagonist, anonymous, and Swajac. SWEET!