Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cut and Run

For all of the bombast spewed by the White House about staying in Iraq till the job is done and the dangers of what they call the Democrats’ cut and run strategy, top Republican officials sure are doing a lot of cutting and running of their own.

My aim is not to get into Iraq strategy here. I simply don’t have the energy or the inclination. I just think it’s interesting to note the mass exodus from the White House when looked at side by side with their “stay the course” rhetoric.

As Bush’s approval ratings plummet and the party is seemingly incapable of going even one day without some major scandal blowing up in its face (Oh Senator Craig, we all believe you’re not really gay. Really), Washington is hemorrhaging Republican officials at a pace it can just barely keep up with.

The latest powerhouse to jump ship is (now former) Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, who tendered his resignation about a week ago and finally leaves months of controversy over federal prosecutor firings (politically motivated?) and the wire-tapping program (illegal?) he authorized behind him. It’s a shame he didn’t get out with his reputation intact, instead remaining loyal for about two months too long and allowing the media to portray him as either A) the most unethical, conniving man you’ll ever meet or B) the most dangerously inept man you’ll ever meet. I personally value loyalty, but keep in mind most political figures in Gonzalez’s position would have rolled over on the president like an elephant in a mud pit on a hot day.

Given the beatdown he’s been taking, I’m surprised Gonzalez held out for as long as he did, and at this point I don’t blame him for tucking his tail between his legs and sprinting for the nearest exit, following the examples of Karl Rove, Harriet Miers, Paul Wolfowitz and Donald Rumsfeld.

Kind of makes you wonder: when will Bush himself wise up and leave this administration behind?

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the media and the public apply so much pressure and dig so deep as to try to squeeze out any tiny insignificant detail in the lives of the officials and then play it over and over to death until there is nothing left in them but to quit that makes it happen.

What ever happened to supporting our leaders? What happened to saying I don't necessarily agree with your policy, but you are in a position to make decisions, not me, so I will give you my trust and the benefit of the doubt while still holding you accountable. Isn't all of there jobs hard enough with how much reponsibility they have, why should they take all the media blitz too?

I know I was younger, but I don't remember all this media outrage with the Clinton administration and his goonies. It all stems down from the rampant hate of President Bush and the liberal media.

About senator Craig...

First, it sounds very very familiar. A public official being accused of innapropriate sexual activities.. Hmmm Oh yeah, that would be you again Mr Clinton. But you never had to leave office. But what is this double Standard for Mr Craig?

I'm not defending him in any way, because he lied and should have to step down just as Clinton should have, I'm just pointing out the double standard.

Second, with what is going on, One mans personal life becomes a republican party issue... Why should that be? Why can't it stay one mans issue? Oh yeah, because democrats hate Bush and any shot they can take at the republican party they will over and again and drive it hard into the ground.

I'm just getting so sick of the liberal media spreading their agenda and indoctrinating the American Public.

Welcome back Gruber.

Also on a side note, all excuses and defenses aside, It does seem very hypocritical to preach "stay the course" and then leave office early... typical republicans!

Zizzle-Zot said...

Hey P Corcs, thanks for the welcome back!

I agree that there is a double standard here, but remember Craig chose to leave office, he wasn't forced out. Clinton probably should have resigned as well, but he had/has very little moral fiber.

What was interesting to me about the Craig issue was the fact that most of his Republican colleagues rolled over on him before the Democrats even had a chance to.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know it was the republicans, leading the charge was our home town boy Norm, but I still don't doubt the cry would have come from the democrats had the republicans left it alone.

I don't like to make this republicans v. democrats. Yes most of my beliefs are more right wing, but I just get so sick of politicians in general. Do you want to start up our own political party Gruber? You can run for President and I will be your vice president?

Oh Shit I forgot, we aren't 25. Next election.

Anonymous said...

Guess who????

I don't really know what to say about this posting. All the politcal crap going on lately is driving me nuts. What I do know is that I am going to watch where I am walking when I am in any public restroom. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't grab people's ankles anymore while I am sitting on the john in the next stall.

Honestly, I just want Hillary Clinton in office and I think that will make everything all better. She had a little rally the other night and had some really good things to say, plus she isn't too bad looking...

That ought to piss some people off!