Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Layoffs (Insert Ominous Music)

It’s been all over the news: Boston Scientific to lay off 13% of workforce. We saw it coming. Anyone who’s been paying attention knows the company has been struggling. Today they will announce the first round of firings (or “head-count reductions” in corporatese). The tension is palpable, the anticipation unbearable. The unknown has left employees variably unmotivated, frantic, melancholy and downright short-tempered.

I was in a meeting yesterday and noticed on the white board that someone had drawn a flow chart of emotions one might feel after being laid off. It started with denial, then moved to drugs/drinking, anger, suicide, avoidance, and finally on to new opportunities.

I found myself ruminating on the original intent of the drawing. Was it a jesting employee (uncertain of his/her own future) attempting to lighten the mood? Was it drawn for a meeting of HR personnel; a serious tool to help deal with potentially desperate victims of corporate cruelty? In the upper left corner of the drawing someone had written SAVE. The artist must have put time and thought into this creation, and didn’t want it nonchalantly wiped into oblivion.

I wonder where I would land on the chart. Probably a combination of drugs/drinking and avoidance. How come indifference isn’t one of the choices? It’s no secret that I don’t like my job. That I fear being driven slowly insane by mundane repetition and carpeted walls. That I look at people who have spent 30 years in a cubicle and feel both pity and contempt.

Truthfully, I feel guilty for my response to the ordeal. While I’ve adopted a flippant, dismissive attitude, those around me scurry, panicking that they won’t be able to pay their mortgage or feed their kids. I’m young. I can bounce from job to job, learn new tricks. And we all know that technical writing for a medical device company is a major deviation from my life goals.

But these people have obligations, responsibilities. They have made their time here more than a job, more even than a career. This place, for many, is life. Boston Scientific is at the center of plans, hopes, aspirations. It’s their social circle, their family, their church. And now Boston Scientific will callously toss them aside as they are forced to face the cold reality: Boston Scientific is a business. It doesn’t even know their names. Nor does it care to. The whole thing honestly makes me sad.

As I walked to my cube this morning the air was noticeably still. The calm before the storm. None of cheerful chirping from the ladies in marketing. No aisle meetings of middle-aged engineers talking about last night’s football game.

No one is safe. Managers are as uncertain about their jobs as those that report to them. No one knows how they will be informed that their time at Boston Scientific has come to an end. Will it be a phone call? A menacing summons to a clandestine conference room? A pink slip sent through inner-office mail? Maybe it would be best to ignore the phone, to set up the out-of-office assistant on Outlook, to spend as much time as possible away from the cube (they can’t fire what they can’t find).

Or maybe I’ll make a preemptive strike. I’ll storm into my manager’s office, clear the pictures and potted plants from her desk with one merciless swipe of my forearm, and proudly pronounce: “You can’t fire me. I quit!”

But really, I imagine that getting fired would be just the kick in the backside that I need.

I’ll keep you posted on how it all goes down.

Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well one good thing about this job is the fact that you have time to write an article on your BLOG every morning. Not every business is the flexible, or maybe they are just careless for not knowing what is taking place on their business computers. Either way it has been a great enjoyment of my day. And as someone said yesterday, it must be hard to keep coming up with material to write something everyday.

Whatever path lies ahead of you Gruber, I pray the job continues to enable you to write an article on the Zot everyday. You will have to keep us posted.

P.S. I still haven't gotten an answer about what the Thanksgiving article was for?

Anonymous said...

Sounds terrifying... I hope you get fired or quit... either way seems good... Actually, I vote you go for the picture/plant sweep and tell those corporate monkeys the deal!!!

Anonymous said...

Come on now, why are we all getting down on the corporate world? The suits need there money too! Anyway, you heard anything yet Grubs? Anyone you know get let go? What is the latest update? I wait on the edge of my seat for an update. Good luck in whatever you want to happen!

Anonymous said...

Grub daddy,

Good luck buddy. It sounds like no matter what happens you aren't going to lose much sleep over it, and as long as you continue to blog i won't be losing much sleep either.

And if you do get the boot then you are always welcome to venture north to St. Michael and hang out with Pat and I during the lunch breaks and maybe we could even sneek you in for the occasional Break Mini Game Tournaments.

Alright, keep us posted buddy!

Anonymous said...

Joey, Zot, Werd...Where are you cats on Mr. A's blog. I dropped the ball, but its getting heated. Maybe you are tuning in and just not writing, but just wanted to let you know if you are missing it. Everyone who is interested in reading something as a team email me...@

caschr@bethel.edu

Let me know suggestions...Look at Zot's "good reads" on the side of the blog for some goodies....

Anonymous said...

Pat - Don't knock on the corporate world. It's because of them that your wife makes money and that you will be able to be a househusband w/o children :)

Anonymous said...

Grubes,

I like your mind-set. You are young, and probably would be happier somewhere else. However, you have a job... and a decent one at that. What ever happens to you I know you will be fine with, or atleast I hope so. Also, if you turn to drugs/alcohol... I am here for you. (Not to listen, but as a companion.)

Good luck buddy!

Anonymous said...

I love the corporate world!

Anonymous said...

Pat got told the deal blog style...heheheh!

Anonymous said...

Grubes, I hope you get to keep your job. Then, if you want, you can wait until you’re ready to storm into your manager’s office, clear the pictures and potted plants from her desk with one merciless swipe of my forearm, and proudly pronounce: “You can’t fire me. I quit!”

That line really made me laugh at work.

Yeah Pat, you were kinda told the deal. Susan, you're funny.

The Friendly Liberal said...

Wouldn't you get some fat severence pay?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the extent to which you dislike your job, but this seems like the perfect situation for you. You'll be given enough money to spend a few weeks searching for a better job and in the meantime, you can work on your Halo skillz and write three blog posts a day.