Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Don’t Get Me Wrong, Kobe Bryant’s Still a Boob: Thoughts on the NBA

In recent weeks we’ve all read articles ad nauseam by basketball analysts, pundits, bloggers, personalities (all self-proclaimed “experts”) on the resurgence of the NBA, due in large part to the unpredictably of the Western Conference playoff push. Sports writers have latched onto the punny potential of the western theme with stories titled “The Wild Wild West” and “How the West Was Won.” Casual fans have jumped on the bandwagon, donning replica jerseys and foam figures as their home teams battle for a spot amongst the elite. And, I must admit, after going through several years of finding the prospect of watching a televised, regular season game completely unpalatable, I have been drawn into the excitement. That’s right, I’m once again a fan of the NBA.

It’s unfortunate that this is the first season in my NBA memory in which star players are giving their top efforts on a daily basis, but I’m thankful for the show. The offseason trades by the Celtics for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, which essentially restructured the league by establishing a legitimate powerhouse in the East, has spurred a veritable arms race by competitive teams to acquire top-flight talent.

In the East this has resulted in a magnificent class separation between the haves (Celtics, Pistons) and the have nots (pretty much everyone else). The top two teams are also the top teams in the entire NBA (the Celtics and Pistons currently have the best records), while at least two teams below .500 will make the playoffs. The lowly Hawks, hopeless underachievers and perennial losers, have earned themselves the noble task of being manhandled by KG and the Irish in the first round. The Pacers are 11 games below being OK, and consider the season a success. To summarize, the good teams are very good, and the bad teams are just gross.

But in the West we have ourselves a dogfight (don’t tell Michael Vick). The migration of superstars (Pao Gasol, Shaq, Jason Kidd*, Kyle Korver…fine, not a superstar, but look at the numbers and you’ll see he pushed the Jazz from good to great), coupled with the maturation of up-and-comers (Chris Paul, Deron Williams, David West) has created an atmosphere of super-competitive superstars.

Every playoff team is a likely 50 game winner. The Warriors, last year’s Cinderellas, won’t even make the big show despite a record that would put them ahead of King James and the Cavs for the fourth seed in the East. Every game is war. One win or one loss completely redefines the playoff picture.

Pay attention, because never again will you see a rejuvenated Shaq diving into the stands for a loose ball. Never again will you hear both Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony talk about the game in terms of “we” instead of the preferred “I.” And take advantage now, because never again will you see Tracy McGrady play defense.

This is a season ripe with bewilderments. How did the ragtag Rockets win 22 straight games AFTER losing superstar Yao Ming to a season ending injury? How did the Hornets jump from an obscurity with literally no fan base to the force that will save New Orleans? How are the Heat so bad? (OK, so this one’s easy: they’re purposely tanking to secure the number one draft pick. A middle lineup of Wade at shooting guard, Marion at small forward, and Michael Beasley at power forward will be fierce, and B-Eazy will look good in black and red.)

Or perhaps the greatest mystery of all: How did Kobe Bryant morph from disgruntled child demanding a trade to messiah demanding MVP consideration? It fills me with an indescribable sadness that he’s my favorite player to watch, for both his athletic skill and his competitive nature, and yet he’s such a jackass. It’s a dichotomy: the Lakers have a real shot at becoming NBA champions, and Kobe has led them there. This makes him the MVP. On the other hand: he nearly destroyed the team in the offseason, ridiculed his teammates on a national stage, and put his heart into the game only after the Lakers started winning. Not behavior you’d expect, or would want, out of an MVP.

This year four players have a legit claim to the award. Chris Paul is a floor general solely responsible for the success of the Hornets (and is indisputably the best PG in the league). Lebron James has an improbable stat line (impossible for mere mortals) and will once again carry a team of bottom-feeders into the playoffs. Kevin Garnett (though this is not his best year statistically) has managed to convince Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and the rest of the Celts that defense IS important. Whatever the results, the battle has been a pleasure to watch.

On a side note, I’ve also enjoyed watching the sinking of the SS Timberwolves. They’ve finally escaped the clutches of mediocrity and find themselves in a hard fought contest for the toilet bowl. It’s refreshing.

* A disclaimer about Jason Kidd: I hated everything about this trade. It was a huge downgrade for the Mavs, who gave up a young playmaker that could create for himself and score in the lane (a rare skill in Dallas) in exchange for an egomaniac that shoots 30% from the field, averages about four turnovers a game, and is expecting his first social security check in the mail any day. On the other hand, it fills me with great joy when I look at the Dallas boxscore and see this stat line: 7 points on 2-11 shooting, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers. Ha.

Thanks for reading.

PS I’m sure many of you were expecting a reaction to the Barack Obama “bitter” explosion. To be perfectly honest, I’m not yet certain what to say. Give me some time to percolate, and I’m sure I’ll devise a perfectly reasonable deconstruction of Obama’s comments. He’s come too far to commit political suicide just as a Hillary comeback seemed impossible. Gulp…

PPS A “reaction” post has gone from likely to pending to imminent, and it may (or may not) be a doozy. Just call me the spin doctor and sign me up for a think tank.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basketball is boring. Baseball is only a little better

Anonymous said...

...to watch. Playing either is OK

Anonymous said...

I haven't bought in to the NBA. I've heard and read a little on the major story lines, but nothing major I guess. A bunch of overpaid babies if you ask me. Good insight though.

As far as barack goes, I hope in these next few months the country starts seeing the terd he really is instead of the self proclaimed "uniter" I call BS!!

The media has once again been successful in brainwashing the public "moderates" and even some conservatives into being gung ho about one of the most liberal minds in washington. Some how I still like him over Hillary though. I guess it's the damn media again.

Zizzle-Zot said...

I think "turd" is spelled with a "u," unless you're talking about the acronym TERD (Training Equipment Requirements Document).

Not even a little interest in the NBA, people? Never again will you see basketball this competitive. We're living history!

Anonymous said...

Actually I meant terd as in slang urban talk, if you'll see below...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=terd

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Grubs,

Great post buddy. I haven't gotten to the point you are at, actually watching the games, but i have been trying to keep up on what sportscenter has to say about the NBA.

I also agree with Pat that they are a bunch of overpaid babies.

I would also argue that Kobe is the best basketball player of all time!

On to the TERD (Barack), i guess he true colors are finally coming out...GO HILLARY!!!

Christopher Kevin Casselman said...

I, like P-corcs and K-han could care less about Kobe Bryant and professional basketball in general. Sorry Zot. I love you though. You know my interests.

P-corcs, I agree with your criticism of the hype that Obama is this messiah-like political figure. Your right, he's a politician. But, a terd? (or turd). I like the fact that his pre-political actions, line up with his ideologies. He seems to be the most upstanding politician out there. So is he the US messiah? Fooey! Is he a good choice if you are looking for a left leaning candidate? Yeeeah!

You are right in being weary of the hype. I am as well. Nevertheless, he is still a good politician in my opinion. I'm so sick of people making him out to be something more. But I'll vote for him bc I think he's a good change in American politics.

What truly seems to be the case--looking in retrospect at the past 8 years of Republicanism-- is that Americans that aren't wholeheartedly committed to Republicanism see the blunders of the Bush administration and are looking for something different. It's not that Republicanism or Conservatism is such a horrible ideology. It's that those who represent this ideology (the current admin.) have failed miserably to manifest the foundations of the politically Conservative ideal that it is supposed to stand for! (we can debate what these failures consist of in a later blog).

All this to say: The Right is simply not working, so lets try the left! (Not that the Left is "The answer." But maybe its time we give it a shot.)

Now I understand a commitment to one's party, but (in my assessment) anyone who isn't a bit dissolusioned by the current administration and hoping for something different is either choosing to ignore the failures, or doesn't know how or want to think critically.

For clarity's sake, I just want to reiterate that I have no problem, and even agree with much of the foundations that derive political conservatism. But does the contemporary Conservative sentiment look much like its ideological Conservative foundations? If Conservative Republicanism is supposed to be about free trade and less government, how do we reconcile the outrageous spending and insistence on involving ourselves in foreign situations? We could find more examples of a failure to manifest Conservatism in contemporary Republicanism, but I've said too much already.

Ok. That was some ranting and raving. I really just feel the need to have a rhetorical quarrel with my P-corcs. We haven't had one in a long time.

PS I might be coming home on the weekend of May 9th. Are you dudes gonna be around? You better be. I want Mich. lights and perhaps some "flick game".

Anonymous said...

Oh great... another basketball post.

Don't get me wrong, I love basketball in the college and high school setting, but the NBA just doesn't do it for me. Believe me, it used to. But that was the Jordan era, and as a kid growing up in Chicago, I wanted to be in the 98% of boys at my school who owned the special edition black 23 jersey (the other 2% couldn't afford them). Mine still hangs in my closet.

Joey... how dare you say that Kobe is the best of all time.

In response to the poll...yes, it is baseball season (said as I watch the Cubbies on-line dominating the Reds right now). I did like the post a lot though. From what I have gathered from the sports section, this seems to be a very exciting year (no sports center for me... no cable... yeah, it's hard... no, i'll manage... thanks for your concern) Part of me feels bad that we don't care for the NBA as much as you do Groobs. Although I do love how quickly the conversation has turned political.

I'm watching the democratic debate right now... although, part of me wonders why. As I sit here, I'm realizing how much I just don't care right now. What, of all this, will actually influence my decision come november? You see I'm somewhat of a moderate. I label myself a "South Park" Republican. I know that if Hillary wins the nom, I will definitely vote for McCain. If Obama takes it... I'll have a little more to consider. But I don't know why. I don't like that my current political stance relies most heavily on the fact that I just don't like Hillary. Why don't I like her? I don't know... I just don't. Isn't that terrible?

I have a friend who's mom went to high school with Hillary Rodham. She barley knew her, but thought that she was one of the mot remarkable people based on character alone. How would our opinions change if we had grown up with Chelsea Clinton as a friend? What if Hillary Clinton was one of our aunts?

I'm reminded of a story my father told me during the Bush Gore presidential election of 2000. I was stupid and naive and said to him one day in my cracking 15 year old voice, "How could anyone vote for Gore", knowing my family's Republican stance. My dad told me that he had once met a Senator in the late 80's while attending an energy conservation conference in Washington DC. He spoke of his genuine sincerity and obvious brilliance during the brief discussion. My dad was thinking the entire conversation, "This man would make the best president this country has ever seen." That man was Albert Arnold Gore.

I'm just thinking a lot about it. And rambling... so I'll stop now. Hope you're all doing well.

Stewardess out!

PS: Werd... don't tell Gruber I called him a deuche bag.