Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Clinton Backers Bolstering Negative Stereotypes

The latest chatter out of that special circle of hell reserved for poli-pundits is aflame with speculation that large groups of avid female Hillary Clinton supporters are so disillusioned by alleged “misogyny” during the primaries that they are threatening to defect to McCain in the general election.

I don’t grant this conjecture much credence, as it’s based largely on ambiguous polls and anecdotal evidence, and trust it will prove wholly ungrounded as we draw closer to November. The “survey group,” shadowy figures that have vaguely hinted they may leave the Democratic camp after Hillary’s loss, may well be the same ignorant West Virginians who still assert that Obama is a Muslim (sorry to generalize, West Virginia, but I’ve seen a number of interviews starring your residents that have made the state look, to put it bluntly, laughably uneducated. It’s tough to find such blatant racism in America these days, but your citizens are either too dumb or too bold (maybe on account of all the guns) to censor themselves on camera. If the shoe fits…) or bra burning Ferraro types who believe Obama has had all the breaks because he’s black (that’s a new one).

Despite my reservations about the plausibility of large swaths of Democratic defectors, the fact that this group of Hillary-gone-McCain backers exists, and is surprisingly vocal considering their lack of a public face or organization, raises some interesting questions about how well the Clinton campaign actually served the feminist cause.

Generations of women in power positions, politics and intellectual circles have had to dodge charges of being spiteful, bitter, and begrudging. They’ve had to prove that they’re capable of making rational, calculated decisions based on the best interests of those they serve and influence, putting petty squabbles aside. They’ve had to prove they aren’t illogical, emotional flakes persistently afflicted by bouts of PMS and dog-eat-dog b-word-iness.

These are unfair stereotypes, no doubt, but now we have a group of women willing to split their party and ignore their values because they feel slighted by media-bullies. Willing to self-sabotage their political efforts, throw the election and ostensibly everything their hero Mrs. Clinton has worked for, all in the name of vengeance. They are securing a reputation for themselves as illogical, emotional flakes.

Throughout the primaries, Obama backers were accused of following a cult of personality. But here we have Clinton supporters demonstrating that they either don’t understand or don’t care about the issues (on which Obama and Clinton are, in some instances, alarmingly close) and apparently backed the candidate as a deluded act of hero-worship

If the issue of race entered the discussion (such as Bill’s thinly veiled racism in comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson or the Reverend Wright fiasco or the multiple insinuations that Obama was a radical Muslim in disguise) Barack was accused of taking umbrage, of using race to his advantage, of playing the proverbial race card. But now we have the defeated party playing the “poor little girl excluded from the boys-club” card. The hypocrisy is exhausting and sickening. I have to wonder if these people feel truly wronged or if they’re just pouting because they didn’t get their way.

Too bad for feminism. It’s hard to kill stereotypes when you have members of your own ranks exemplifying them.

On the other hand, would I have voted for Hillary in the general should she have gotten the nod? Hell no! But I wouldn’t have played the race card either. I would, however, have played the “Hillary is a slimy, pandering, lying she-devil of a politician” card. Does this make me a hypocrite? Technically, no (I’m not a registered Democrat). Does it make me a misogynist? If misogyny is defined as: a dude who finds the prospect of another 8 years of Clinton chicanery absolutely nauseating, then sign me up.

Thanks for reading.

As a side note, did you all hear any of Obama’s weekend speech on the failures of young fathers? Yet another honest discussion of a serious social problem, and a confrontation most politicians wouldn’t have the cajones to take on at this stage in the game. Kudos.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elitest-post of the blog right here:

Every day after work I catch about 2-3 minutes of CNN News while I wait for the foreign valets to fetch my car from the heated/air conditioned underground garage.

The other day two women were ranting on-and-on about how unfairly Hillary was treated during the primaries, and supposedly represented a group of women who were changing their vote to McCain as a result.

I couldn't really pay attention to what they were saying because I was so distracted by the hilarity of the situation. On the left sat a very short brunette with a permanent scowl on her face and an annoyingly high-pitched voice. On the right sat a huge (250 lbs easy) blonde lady who didn't say much but kept nodding her head as the spunky little one ranted. And to say the least, neither one of these ladies was the poster-child for well-educated or socially-conscious population.

Like I said, I couldn't even focus on what they were saying because I was busy trying to hide my smirk as I thought about how crazy the ladies looked and sounded.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I agree with Zot that there are plenty of Clinton backers who are bolstering negative stereotypes.

...I'm going to hell

Anonymous said...

the two women were on the news...not in the garage. Just to clarify

Anonymous said...

I didn't see these women ranting, but I do have one thought. They may have portrayed themselves as a couple of crazies, but I just have to pick a little at your post. Now, this is not because I think you are showing yourself to be a misogynistic, intolerant white man. I know that camp. The Zot is not in that camp. But I'd like to offer a personal anecdote.

This situation was enlightening to me. Now you can write me off simply as one of those dudes being educated in liberal California, or you can see that there are different people with different thoughts all around this country. As I tell this, I hope you enact the latter.

I had a class this quarter that brought me into close quarters with many far-lefters, liberals, and I even became rather close with a couple feminists. What was great was how they enlightened me to some of the feminist sentiment. I won't go too far, but want to make one quick point.

I had to realize that my voice when it comes to women's issues, should remain rediculously small. I haven't experienced the issues of women's rights, and therefore don't see half the picture. How can I? My perspective is completely different from theirs, so it would make sense that most of the offensive situations that women face, blow pass me; And when these issues do arise, I usually gain in the outcome, while women usually are the butt of these issues. So obviously, they are more able to pick them out than I am.

All in all, my point is this. Realize your perspective. We each have a certain situatedness that determines much of our initial thoughts on a subject. We must look to the other and take seriously their contentions, especially when we have a totally different perspective on the issue than they do.

To bring it back: Is the run for US Presidency a boy's club? Historically, of course. Did Hillary make some strides against that? Of course. Imagine being a woman who has been oppressed in the past. Now give her a strong "no-shit taking" woman like Hillary. What would you think of her? Many past-oppressed women might cheer her strength and will power. Many men, might think to themselves, "What a bitch!" The tables turn. That's all I am saying.

As you said Zot, Hill and Obama are amazingly close on their stances on issues. But Hill got the boot. Now I have my reasons for not endorsing HIll, but you can imagine being a feminist and seeing the woman get the boot again. See my point?

On the other hand, imagine if Obama got the boot. I think Black People would be totally qualified in pulling the proverbial race card. We've only had white presidents! If it was Hill and McCain, would they not be at least a little bit justified in this when they see two whites, again! One's perspective plays a huge role in one's perception. What's your perspective?

For most of the readers of this blog, I know we are trying to vote the issues, and this is why we've chosen who we've chosen, but remember, that we (most Zotians) are suburbanite, white, educated males. This is our perspective. And I don't believe you can separate yourself from that. So lets maintain humility and recognize our situatedness.

Somebody please debate with me!!!! I am out of class and need a good one!

The Friendly Liberal said...

At first, I found it hard to believe that a significant number of Clinton backers would switch to McCain (or far more likely, stay home/write in Hillary's name). Every time I saw a YouTube comment expressing such sentiment, I immediately imagined a "clever" neo-con twisting the game.

However, my sister recently attended a women's political conference here in Minnesota and assured me that these people exist...in numbers that are worth noting.

I'm still not worried. All I have to do is think about McCain, when he locked up the nomination. The same apolcolyptic threats were issued to him and, as expected, all it took was time for those wounds to heal. Do you hear Rush and his posse denouncing McCain today? No, they've turned their sights to Obama, like Clinton supporters will do to McCain. All will be right in the political world. The right people will hate eachother once again.

Christopher Kevin Casselman said...

This is a Blogvertisement: Check out my blog @ latenightpress.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Cassel, you bring up a good point, and I agree that I am pretty self-centered when I make a lot of judgments.

Even though I sometimes don't consider different views on an subject, I feel that very few people actually do when formulating their initial thoughts. Like you said, either a black man or a woman had to lose the nomination, and it was sure to result in some hard-feelings by the losing demographic. In this case, I'm not saying that women are in the wrong for having their spirits crushed; all I'm saying that SOME women are taking it a bit too far and aren't doing themselves any favors by speaking out the way that I've seen them.

Another note on analyzing different perspectives…and the one big bone I have to pick with the democratic platform – Taxes! This is one area where democrats/liberals are NOT objective. I read an article the other day about a guy who Obama is essentially going to bury economically by his proposed tax increases, when it is easy to see that this guy is not a “rich bitch” at all. Democrats see a big salary and whine about it being unfair before truly understanding the situation. It’s a long story and I’ll spare you the details, but it made me really angry.

I like most of the democratic positions, but their economic policy is hooey!

Zizzle-Zot said...

I realize it's pretty unnecessary to point this out...but Barack is black. So outrage from Hillary and her ilk over the continuation of historical oppression really doesn't impress me.

I see what you’re driving at, Cassel. It’s important to respect what Hillary accomplished, and to respect the hope she gave to the women who support her. I’ll never understand what it’s like to be a woman, or feel like I face barriers on all sides. But I’ll also never understand what it’s like to be a black man either. This is important to remember: the choice was between two historical firsts. Two candidates who represent historically oppressed groups (though last I checked women were never enslaved or lynched – fine, the Salem witch trials).

My point was not to deal with Clinton as a candidate. Nor was it to accuse her fervent supporters of being crazy, illogical women. She’s a very intelligent person, and a more than capable politician. Realistically, she would have done a great job running the country (but that doesn’t mean I have to like a politician with no integrity or discernable moral compass).

I was looking to point out the absurdity of the feminist reaction to Clinton’s defeat. I can maintain perspective and still call out irrational behavior when I see it. This is where political correctness goes too far. Yes, respect others’ situations. But stupidity is stupidity, and I will never forfeit my right to call it like I see it.

To throw an election to the very archetype of a man who perpetrates your oppression, solely out of spite, is absolutely insane. If Barack had lost, the race card would certainly be played (perhaps justifiably). But I can’t imagine the day that the NAACP would endorse McCain.

Thanks for the reassurance, Mr. A. If I have one goal with this blog, it is to guide hate to the proper targets. Perhaps all is not lost.

The Friendly Liberal said...

This article contains at least 7-8 potential Zizzle-Zot discussion topics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25343812/