Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Patience, Young Padawans

My apologies, but you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for this week’s post. I’ve done a breakdown of March Madness, and realized after finishing that if I were to post what I’d written, I’d be giving you noobs the answer key to this year’s bracket. Not gonna happen. Brackets are due tomorrow morning, and that’s when I’ll reveal the winners.

On a couple of side notes:

If you’ve been watching economic news, it looks like the Federal Reserve might self destruct, saving me a lot of time and effort. If their bailout for financial institutions backfires (ie fails to restore investor confidence) and markets continue to crumble, they will find themselves increasingly owned by foreign interests and their international reputation will erode to the point of no return. Since our financial systems are largely based on speculation (which is based on some inexplicable concoction of arrogance, inevitability and blind faith), a loss of trust means the downfall of the Federal Reserve.

I’m not an economist, nothing in the world is less interesting to me than money (well… maybe technical writing) and numbers give me a headache, so if the Fed were to go up in a cash fed blaze of its own making, sparked by the ember of imagined invincibility, I would be the first to rejoice.

K-Han, I caught Obama’s speech this morning. Brilliant. This is what he does best, and he once again demonstrated his understanding of complex issues with intelligence and empathy.

You’ll hear from me again tomorrow. Good luck on those brackets!

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope that when you say March Madness you are talking about breaking down the women's tournament. By far more exciting to watch then the mens.

Anonymous said...

Just so everyone knows...I'm terrible at filling out my brackets.

And Pat, if you say that again, I'm going to punch you in the mouth.

Anonymous said...

Come on Kev...

Non-violence is the key. You're better than that!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

The Friendly Liberal said...

I feel like I witnessed one of great political speeches in US history.

Anonymous said...

From a rhetorical standpoint, that speech was amazing. It certainly made you think that this was the kind of speech that will be known throughout history (if Obama gains the presidency). I was very impressed to learn that he wrote the whole thing himself, unheard of when it comes to presidential/political speeches. I suggest all f you watch it on YouTube whether you are probama or not. Certainly raised some well needed issues. My particular fave... why is it that sunday morning is the single most segregated hour during the American week? Look forward to tomorrow's post of marching towards a maddening March Madness tourney.